Chat Help Settings Subscription Blog Banned Users Search

Advertisement

Go Back   Houston-Imports.com > Automotive Discussions > Car Talk

Old 04-24-2012, 01:06 PM   #1
mois93da
becoming a regular here!

Car: 97 ej8, 05 chevy work van
05 civic overheating suggestions please

My friend has his car overheating... Changed thermostat, temp sensor, fan, it still heats up bad. Is there anything else that could be the problem besides the pump? He already took it to a mechanic but he just said it was the thermostat and chnged it. If its the pump, how much would it cost to repair it?

Advertisement
Old 04-24-2012, 09:04 PM   #2
chingpo05
build it not buy it

Car: whatever isnt blocked in
waterpumps rarely fail since its a pretty simple design but they do leak since those seal have a certain life expectancy. expect to pay for a timing job when u get the pump changed which can be anywhere from 200-500 for labor. he prob blew a hg or rad took a poop
chingpo05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:19 PM   #3
mois93da
becoming a regular here!

Hmmm. Would it be more likely that the radiator is clogged rather than the pump gone to crap? I'm asking cause earlier he told me that it over heated again and the reservoir line that hooks up to the radiator had come off. The pressure had made it burst. But checking the radiator hoses he found out one was hot one was noticeably cooler.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:31 PM   #4
chingpo05
build it not buy it

i would bleed it without the cap on the rad. it may be the cap or air bubbles in the system. the thing is Hondas blow head gaskets fairly easy once the car moderately overheats once. theres just to many ways of going about doing diff test and im to lazy to tell it all
Old 04-25-2012, 12:53 PM   #5
5w20
Where is Fat Mike?

Car: stockness
Before throwing any more parts on it, make sure the cooling system can hold pressure. If you happen to need a water pump I have an brand new oem for $40.
5w20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 05:29 PM   #6
mois93da
becoming a regular here!

I'm pretty sure it can hold pressure. It's just that it gets hot to the point that the little line that goes to the reservoir bursts. So he's trying to figure out what that's about. I'm not too familiar with water pumps in Hondas so testing it is a mystery to me.

Let me see off he does need the pump and I'll PM you.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:48 AM   #7
chingpo05
build it not buy it

-_- that means something isnt holding pressure
Old 04-26-2012, 04:45 PM   #8
mois93da
becoming a regular here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chingpo05 View Post
-_- that means something isnt holding pressure
But the water is boiling by the time it bursts. Wouldn't the heat mean the coolant isn't flowing?
Old 05-08-2012, 10:13 AM   #9
_uglyduckling_
Self Made

Car: Prizm
02 Civic EX

Dude, I don't wanna be the grimm reaper but once those heads get overheated alot, they will never be the same. I remember I had an 02 civic, and it had a small radiator leak and it over heated. We chaged the water pump, thermostat, radiator, even did the head job. After the head job, it lasted like 2 months without overheating, but sure enough it started again. Those alluminium blocks get warped after being overheated so much. In my case, the block had warped and it eventually started leaking again. I just sold it as is cause it was paid off, and took a lost. If you plan on keepin the car, i recommend rebuilding the whole engine or a swap. Better to save TIME!!!!!!! which is most important than being stranded like 20 times on the road and being left at home no way to get to work. Just take the lost and never run it hot again. I actually got traumatized, everytime i see the stick go a little over the middle mark. I STOP. Its best to call a wrecker and have them tow it to a mechanic and do a pressure test on it. Trust me man these mechanics are gonna tell you its something small and something else, until you end up paying triple than you would just replacing it. I have an honest mechanic that I met when this car had that happen and beein going to him ever since. I also have friends that been going to him ever since i recommended him. If you want the info, pm me.

# Personal Experience and learned the hard way by buying the same car twice in repairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mois93da View Post
My friend has his car overheating... Changed thermostat, temp sensor, fan, it still heats up bad. Is there anything else that could be the problem besides the pump? He already took it to a mechanic but he just said it was the thermostat and chnged it. If its the pump, how much would it cost to repair it?

Last edited by _uglyduckling_; 05-08-2012 at 10:18 AM. Reason: Addiing and typos
_uglyduckling_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:03 PM   #10
ex_ricer_95
Mr Solo Dolo

Car: 95 EJ1
Im the same way as ugly. ive had to do the hg on my civic like 6 times in the 3 or so yrs ive had it along with 2 different motors. once it overheats one good time thats it u can bank on havin to do a hg job that weekend. it fairly easy and cheap but a pain in the ass u would prolly be better off havin this guys mech look at it since hes not some chode tryin too take ur money if what he says about him is tru
ex_ricer_95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:20 PM   #11
mois93da
becoming a regular here!

Sounds like y'all are talking about cars you rag on... Anyhow he decided to take it to the dealer. Problem solved. Lol. He said something about a swap but I doubt he'll do it. Once it's fixed it'll be a grocery getter. Again.

Advertisement